[OZTL_NET] SHARE: Today's Google logo - Maria Sibylla Merian

Barbara Braxton barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 2 08:13:05 AEDT 2013

Today's logo is celebrating the 365th birthday of Maria Sibylla Merian, a
German-born naturalist and scientific illustrator.

But do you or your students know about Amalie Dietrich, another German-born
naturalist who is best known for her work in this field in Queensland in the
mid-19th century, collecting, preparing and preserving specimens for use in
European scientific studies, including the first-ever taipan snake? Her work led
her to become known as "Australia's first spider lady".

I learned about her when I reviewed Peter Macinnis's wonderful book 'Australian
Backyard Naturalist' (National Library of Australia, 2012, 9780642277428) which
is the most intriguing, most accessible book of its kind that I know of and is a
must-have, IMO.

But perhaps it is time for her work to be more widely known and her name added
to that seemingly short list of prominent women in Australia's history. There is
more information at http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/dietrich-amalie-3412

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)
COOMA NSW 2630
AUSTRALIA
barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Together, we learn from each other