[OZTL_NET] TARGET: Shakespeare for Year 6

Barbara Braxton barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 3 11:06:46 AEDT 2013

A hat I am wearing means that I want to introduce Year 6 students to Shakespeare
so they can have a heads-up of who he was, why he was important and why they are
likely to encounter his works when they move to high school.  I have to write a
teaching idea of no more than 200 words for students who are not in my care or
even influence, and I was thinking that perhaps I could suggest the teacher read
a modern story that is based on a Shakespearean play and then tie it back to the
original in some way, sparking an interest in finding out about him and his
influence.

Shakespeare is NOT my interest so I only have the most basic knowledge of the
plots of some of the plays so I could have read the most perfect book and not
known its origins.  So for those of you more knowledgeable than I, what would
you suggest remembering that these are Yr 6 students who may be anywhere in the
country. I am aware of the modernised versions of the plays from
http://nfs.sparknotes.com/ but this is not what I want.

Appreciate what you might offer...

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)
COOMA NSW 2630
AUSTRALIA
barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Together, we learn from each other