[OZTL_NET] SHARE: Rock the Drop

Barbara Braxton barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 20 07:59:09 AEST 2013

An idea shared on LM_NET this morning was Rock the Drop which was an event
organised and promoted through Twitter on April 18 (US time) but which might
spark an idea for a similar promotion within your school or community.

Essentially it means leaving books around in various places for students to find
and read - not sure of the logistics of keeping track of who ends up with what
but here's the outline from Elsa Ouvrard-Prettol...

I found all the info here: http://www.melissacwalker.com/rock-the-drop-2013/
and http://readergirlz.com/tbd.html

What I did was to wrap the books in brightly colored paper, for various reasons:
1- if a student lost their own book during the day, it couldn't be mistaken for
a 'dropped book'.
2- it would be easily spotted and could be hidden in grass, flower beds, etc...
because it was protected.
3- students weren't sure what they were getting, which added to the excitement.
4- because my campus serves middle and high school, I could write on the paper
which levels each book was for, (hopefully) ensuring that a middle schooler
wouldn't get a HS-level book, or a HS student not be stuck with a book for 6th
graders.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)
COOMA NSW 2630
AUSTRALIA
barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Together, we learn from each other