[OZTL_NET] Short online survey into use of social media/Web 2.0 at your school

Mandy Lupton mandy.lupton at qut.edu.au
Mon Apr 22 14:33:46 AEST 2013

Dear OZTL comrades,
I hope you've all had a great start to term 2 :-)
Many of you will know my research into inquiry learning. In my previous research I have found that many TLs are restricted from using social media and Web 2.0 due to blocking policies at school and/or department level. I will have a paper entitled 'Social media and Web 2.0 - teacher-librarians, risk and inequity' published next month in Synergy which discusses this research http://www.slav.schools.net.au/synergy.html. The paper will be available for open access, I'll post a link to it as soon as it is published. As a follow-up to this research I have designed a survey that aims at finding out the extent of blocking practices in schools across the nation.
I invite you to fill out a short 10 minute survey that asks you about the extent of blocking at your school and the barriers and opportunities to using social media and Web 2.0 with students at your school. You will be asked to indicate which tools (to your knowledge) are in use at your school and which tools are blocked. I have selected the specified tools from the Top 100 Tools for Learning 2012 http://c4lpt.co.uk/top100tools/
Here is the link to the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S5YDGNP
This study has been approved by the QUT Human Research Ethics Committee (approval number 1200000032). Here is a Dropbox link to the ethics information sheet https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bqeo8o7avdbnwo/01%20c%20Recruit-email_Lupton_TL_social_variation.docx (be aware that if you are in a state school Dropbox may be blocked). The information is also available on the first page of the survey.
Many thanks for your involvement. I will post the results to the list once I get a critical mass of responses. It would be great to get a large representation from across Oz in all school sectors!
Best, Mandy
-------------
Dr Mandy Lupton
Lecturer
Coordinator: MEd teacher-librarianship
http://www.qut.edu.au/study/master-of-education-teacher-librarianship
School of Cultural & Professional Learning, Queensland University of Technology
Victoria Park Road
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059, Australia
Email: mandy.lupton at qut.edu.au<mailto:mandy.lupton at qut.edu.au>
Mobile: 0434 861 063
Skype: mandy.lupton
Twitter: LuptonMandy
Blog: http://inquirylearningblog.wordpress.com
Profile: http://staff.qut.edu.au/staff/luptonm
Publications: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/view/person/Lupton,_Mandy.html

 “Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” Winnie The Pooh