[OZTL_NET] The incredible disappearing teacher librarian

Robert Douglas robwdoug at bigpond.com
Sun Oct 20 21:05:45 AEDT 2013

Dear OZ-TLers,

I need your collective wisdom.

I am a TL at a secondary college of about 800 girls.  When my TL
colleague resigned last year she was not replaced leaving me 0.8 TL with
two .6 library techs.  The DP (currently acting principal) has now told
me that my time fraction next year will be 0.6 FTE.

His argument is that as I am employed as a teacher I should be in front
of students for the same time fraction as a teacher.  Since I am not,
then there is not a need for a TL for more than 0.6 of the time.  I have
suggested that there is more to a TL role than being in front of
students, but he believes all library services should be provided by the
library techs, not the TL.  The TL should  only be working with students
in a class situation.  This has extended even to the removal of the TL's
desk from the library workroom, and the expectation that in my "spare"
periods I work in the staff work area where the other domain leaders
have their desks.  Problem is this is upstairs in a building separate to
the ground floor library.

How can I convince the school leaders that a TL role is both a teacher
and a librarian?  In case you were wondering, I am involved in a reading
programme at Years 7 - 9 and have an extensive information literacy
programme.  I am reducing the print collection and increasing the
digital collection.  The library is used as a study room for year 12's
on independent study period and is generally well used by students and
staff alike.

Not sure what more I can do.  Any ideas?

Regards,