[OZTL_NET] HIT: suggestions for novels: Australian identity

Linda Weeks linda.weeks at stpauls.nsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 19 18:16:08 AEDT 2015

Thank you all.

This list is inspired and collected from OZTL_NET replies:

The incredible here and now – Felicity Catsagna

Friday Brown by Vicki Wakefield

Red by Libby Gleeson

Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey

Anthony Eaton's A new kind of dreaming (set in WA outback)

The Comet Box by Adrian Stirling (set in Geelong in 80s)

Maestro by Peter Goldsworthy.

'My Life as an Alphabet' by Barry Jonsberg

A man called Possum by David Harris

Camel Rider by Prue Mason

Crow Country by Kate Constable

The First Third by Will Kostakis (modern)

When We were Two by Robert Newton (historical)

Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Break of Day by Tony Palmer about Kokoda and life in rural Victoria has good recommendations for Years 8 and 9. I also came across this list in an essay about the National Curriculum. Your advanced Year 8 students might do well with these.

The Year 9 NAPLAN (2009) Reading Magazine, which forms the basis of the NAPLAN Year 9 Reading test, included several texts about Australian experiences, created by Australian writers:

• An extract from David Metzenthen’s novel, Finn and the Big Guy •  An extract from Andrew McGahan’s novel, The White Earth • An extract from Fiona Capps’s novel, Night Surfing

Are the Lockie Leonard  not advanced enough?

Or Jackie French (many options here)

Oldies

I can Jump Puddles

How about going back to some of the older classic Australian children's titles eg Seven Little Australians, The Billabong Series, Silver Brumby or authors such as Colin Thiele  or Ivan Southall with their wonderful interpretations of the time (or some of the Ruth Park - though suspect these are too hard hitting)

Ruth Park novel

Collective knowledge, inspiring ideas to share.

Linda Weeks

St Paul’s Grammar School

Craenbrook