[OZTL_NET] ipad use in the library during lunchtime

Combes, Barbara bcombes at csu.edu.au
Wed Mar 4 17:43:48 AEDT 2015

And truth be known Alison, they are probably playing with them during class as well. Have set days in the library where things happen.

Monday - reading corners - student can only read F in the library - can be ebooks or interactive Fiction books. May do storytelling here or storyreading aloud as well. Can also do study and use the OPACs.

Tuesday - electronic GameDay - play to their hearts content. Can also do study and use the OPACs.

Wednesday - Game on - board games and puzzles (have a jigsaw out for anyone to do at any time - including staff), no electronic games. Can also do study and use the OPACs.

Soap Day - may have a video/clickview/series of useful YouTube videos running. Can also do study and use the OPACs.

Mufti day - anything goes. Could do maker spaces here or again have this running all the time in a designated space.

This way they get 2 days a week when they can play on their ipads in the library. Need to remember that gaming is also improving literacy skills - depends on the type of games they are playing.

:)
BC

Dr Barbara Combes,
Lecturer, Charles Sturt University, Australia
President, Western Australian School Library Association (WASLA)
Secretary, Literacy and Reading Section, International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA)
Corresponding member, Information Literacy Section, International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA)
Email: bcombes at csu.edu.au