[OZTL_NET] OZTL_NET Digest, Weeded Books and Overseas

CYA Conference info at cyaconference.com
Fri Mar 20 19:04:17 AEDT 2015

Hey all

I am so saddened to see that the attitude towards weeded books to other countries...

For the last 4 or so years CYA Conference has been part of chain of amazing people which have shipped Australian weeded books from may schools, libraries and private collections to PNG. FYI - they do all their schooling in ENGLISH now, not traditional languages so that there is a standard across the country, and the use of Australian school text books is welcomed... We have been part of setting up not only school libraries, but community libraries as well, and I can assure you that these books are needed and utilised.

Because we have a freight company (Fastair in Brendale, Brisbane,) involved, they distribute the books to the Sustainable Palm Oil Estates, Mines and Engineering companies and many other businesses inside PNG within their monthly containers.

This project is Sustainable because we never look to fund raise in order to send these containers, they get a free ride to PNG. ( And a free sorting on that side too within these companies who are passionate as we are about education and literacy!)

With over 100 tons ( yes 100 000 kgs ) of books shipped, and a sustainable route, and distribution procedure, these books do make a difference within the communities they go to. And more communities are asking to be part of it all the time, so because its community driven, it works.

Please don't just discount that because of one persons bad experience that you know if, that the books are not needed overseas   - they are.

This is a link to our page about being part of this project
http://www.cyaconference.com/program/charities/mobile-library-PNG.html

This is the direct link to the Mobile library sites that started it all rolling.
http://mbe-mobile-library.tumblr.com

And the Mobile Libraries PNG site:
http://mobilelibrarypng.tumblr.com

They are all worth a look - and you will see that libraries that had nothing are now filled and being used.

We send books, stationery,teaching aids, library resources - anything that is on the educational spectrum.

This is one of Rotaries Youtube clips on the glasses project - but you will see the Milne Bay Mobile Library Project mentioned because they are also part of this wonderful chain of people who think outside the box, and help spread literacy!

http://youtu.be/ZktICgfUuZE

Yes, I feel passionately about the throw away society that Australia has become and finding a new home for the books that people here don't use anymore... not everyone is blessed with an ipad or Kindle, a laptop computer or even electricity. Sometimes the books they have mould within3 -  5 years, because there is no air-conditioners - so what ???  if we continue to support this project - those mouldy books become firebricks ( saving a bit of natural rainforest) and new books will be delivered to share on the shelf.

Thanks to everyone on this list who already donates books to us, and other charities. Please don't stop recycling books...

CYA later!
Tina

T.M.Clark - CYA Conference Coordinator
& The CYA Conference Team.