[OZTL_NET] HIT; Transgender/ gender identity books for elementary/primary

Barbara Braxton barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 25 05:16:55 AEDT 2015

Thank you to everyone who responded - there is clearly a need for these sorts of
books in our collections and I've passed the suggestions on to the teachers
involved so that they can decide because they know the child better than I.
These were the resources which were suggested.

Gracefully Grayson - a fiction book about gender identity -
http://amipolonsky.com/books/

TED talks and a book called Far from the tree by Andrew Solomon -
http://andrewsolomon.com/  which, because of its length, might be better for his
parents.

Transgender Child

http://www.transgenderchild.net/books-etc/books-for-kids/

The Rainbow Times

http://www.therainbowtimesmass.com/2013/02/13/transgender-friendly-picture-books
-for-young-children/

Fortunate Families - Catholic Parents of LGBTI children

http://fortunatefamilies.com/transgender-resources-publications/transgender-chil
drens-books/

Gay themed Picture Books for Children

http://booksforkidsingayfamilies.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/i-am-jazz.html (and
others)  I am Jazz written by a 14 year old about what it's like to be a girl in
a boy's body was mentioned several times.

Books that heal kids

http://booksthathealkids.blogspot.ca/search/label/transgender

My Princess Boy by Cheryl Kilodavis (boy who identifies as a girl)

Jacob's New Dress by Sarah Hoffman (see review
http://thebottomshelf.edublogs.org/?p=783)

10 000 Dresses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10,000_Dresses (boy identifies as a
girl)

Riding Freedom http://www.publishersweekly.com/9780590957663  (the true story of
Charlotte ""Charley"" Darkey Parkhurst, a woman who lived her life disguised as
a man so she could be a stagecoach driver)

Barbara

Barbara Braxton

Teacher Librarian

M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)

Dromkeen Librarian's Award 2003

COOMA NSW 2630

AUSTRALIA

barbara.288 at bigpond.com