[OZTL_NET] SHARE: Open IDEO

Susan Stephenson thebookchook at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 15:38:50 AEDT 2015

I’ve just spent some time with an enthusiastic and generous group of TLs and encountered and loved the Microsoft 21st C Learning Design Toolkit. Well worth seeking out.

One of the ideas shared was about OpenIDEO. I’ve just scratched the surface at the website, but here are some things I found that resonated with me:

1. Explanation of OpenIDEO central idea and community https://www.youtube.com/embed/eUApgJBZU8M?wmode=opaque&autoplay=1 <https://www.youtube.com/embed/eUApgJBZU8M?wmode=opaque&autoplay=1>

2. The challenges: https://openideo.com/challenge <https://openideo.com/challenge> These might make interesting discussions for students or you could go further and encourage a school-wide response e.g. How might we establish better recycling habits at home? What global challenge do you think innovation leaders should work to solve right now? I really like the emphasis on these being real world problems with students being encouraged to collaborate, design and respond.

3. The Electronster Toolkit - free PDF with lots of ideas and tips on pulling electronics etc apart (e.g. hide the hammers!) Might be useful for Maker Ed spaces, and certainly for a special day.

https://openideo.com/challenge/creative-confidence/impact/the-electronster-toolkit-and-facilitations <https://openideo.com/challenge/creative-confidence/impact/the-electronster-toolkit-and-facilitations>

(scroll down to Attachments to find a link that worked for me to download PDF)

Susan Stephenson
www.thebookchook.com
www.susanstephenson.com.au