[OZTL_NET] Indie Book Awards announced

Hathaway, Lindy Lindy.Hathaway at ed.act.edu.au
Fri Mar 27 18:01:54 AEDT 2015

Hi all
The winners of the Indie Book Awards 2015 were announced 25 March, chosen by more than 170 independent Australian booksellers. Presented annually to Australian writers since 2008, the previous Overall Winners of the Indie Book Awards are Breath by Tim Winton (2008), Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey (2009), The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do (2010/11),  All That I Am by Anna Funder (2012) The Light between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (2013) and The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan (2014).
http://www.indies.com.au/indie-book-awards

Indie Book of the Year 2015
The bush: travels in the heart of Australia by Don Watson.  "Utterly mesmerising and entrancing . . . A challenge to contemplate what it really is about this country that makes us who we think we are . . . A literary-historical odyssey." (Paul Daley, The Guardian)
http://www.penguin.com.au/products/9781742537870/bush

Indie Book of the Year Fiction
Golden boys by Sonya Hartnett. Through the lives of 2 families, the book explores the "acceptance of domestic violence, and its effects on children; the way class and money can enable and protect a predator; and how resilient, vulnerable, opportunistic and courageous children can be." (Linda Funnell)
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/sonya-harnetts-golden-boys-is-a-tale-of-darkness-in-summer-20140830-10a62b.html#ixzz3VYzagTIl

Indie Book of the Year Non-Fiction
The bush by Don Watson

Indie Book of the Year Children's & YA
Withering-by-Sea by Judith Rossell. A thrilling Victorian fantasy-adventure, the first in a series for 9-12 year olds. A young orphaned girl living in an old hotel sees something she shouldn't have, setting in motion a terrifying yet wonderful adventure.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22677414-withering-by-sea

Indie Book of the Year Debut Fiction
Foreign soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke. A collection of award-winning stories dealing with people who are disenfranchised, mistreated or lost. Clarke says "it's about refuge and humanity, the way we treat each other".
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/maxine-beneba-clarke-20140501-37iro.html

Cheers
Lindy Hathaway
Dickson College, ACT
http://digitalk.edublogs.org
www.dckclib.wikispaces.org<http://www.dckclib.wikispaces.org>
Lost in a good book: Replica by Jack Heath

--
This email remains the property of the ACT Education & Training Directorate.
This transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential or