[OZTL_NET] Another freebie: Pixar rendering software

peter macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Sun Mar 29 12:15:28 AEDT 2015

Not from me, this time.  I won't tell you, I will quote:

"Last year Pixar announced that it would be releasing a "free" (that is,
available without cost) version of Renderman, the in-house rendering
engine that produces the visuals in all of Pixar’s animated films and
many other Hollywood blockbusters. Though the actual release process ran
into some delays, it has finally happened: Renderman is now free for
non-commercial usage on Windows, OS X, and Linux.

"FOSS advocates will take note that the software is free-as-in-beer, not
free-as-in-speech—that is, while Renderman can be downloaded and used
non-commercially without paying anything, it has not been open-sourced
(and we bring the distinction up because that’s what more than half the
story’s discussion thread on Slashdot has focused on)...

Read the rest at
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/after-a-year-pixar-sets-renderman-software-free-as-in-beer/>

--
Peter Macinnis, feral word herder & science gossip.
Klein bottle stopper design consultant,