[OZTL_NET] CHRISTMAS COUNTDOWN: Emily's Bush Christmas

Barbara Braxton barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 21 06:58:35 AEDT 2016

Emily's Bush Christmas

Jackie French

Bruce Whatley

HarperCollins, 2015

32pp., pbk., RRP $A14.99

9780732286934

It's Christmas Day in Shaggy Gully and all the animals are doing the things
they do best - the kangaroos are bouncing, the echidnas are prickly, the
emus are peckish, koalas are relaxing and the bats and wombats are just
hanging about.  The Shaggy Gully chorus are sharing their Christmas carols
- the cockatoos and kookaburras are giving it their all while Emily tries to
keep in tune with her tuba.  Suddenly the ambiance is shattered by a ghastly
groan coming up from the creek.

"ooooogggggghhhhhh! I'm mad and I'm mean! I'm the BUNYIP
ooooogggggghhhhhh!."

In response, Emily Emu's tuba echoes the same ghastly sound! The bunyip's'
moan makes her tuba groan. But Emily decides that everyone, including
bunyips, should be happy at Christmas and so she sets about trying to change
the bunyip's mood.  But no matter what she and her friends do, the bunyip
stays mad and mean!  Until he discovers Emily's tuba...

You just know that a Christmas story from Jackie French and Bruce Whatley is
going to be Australian and it's going to be good.  And so it is with this
tale which is uniquely Australian and which will bring a smile to the face
of little ones (and bunyips.) They will love to see what their favourite
creatures get up to in the bush on this special day - even Ringo the Dingo
is there - as Jackie always weaves a wonderful story that is worth reading
over and over, especially if you play them this sound clip
<http://www.beginband.com/sndclips/tuba.mp3>  so they can hear the sound of
the tuba and why it is so perfect for a bunyip!

This team always produces the best - and this is no exception.

Barbara Braxton

Teacher Librarian

M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)

Dromkeen Librarian's Award 2003

COOMA NSW 2630

AUSTRALIA

 <mailto:barbara.288 at bigpond.com> barbara.288 at bigpond.com