[OZTL_NET] REVIEW: Rock Pool Secrets (Narelle Oliver)

Barbara Braxton barbara.288 at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 10 09:59:25 AEDT 2017

Rock Pool Secrets

Narelle Oliver

Walker Books, 2017

32pp., hbk., RRP $A24.99

9781922179357

"Down on the rocky shore, waves crash and smash.  Then the tide goes out and
the sea is calm. It's a good time to explore the rock pools."

For some the magnificence of high tide with the waves pounding the coast is
their favourite sea-time - the tranquillity of low tide is not dramatic
enough for them. But what looks to be a peaceful, not-much-happening
environment  is actually one of the greatest activity on the seashore
because the myriad of creatures that live there have just a few short hours
to feed and do what they do before the inexorable tide encroaches again.
You just have to take the time to look.

In this superbly illustrated new book from Narelle Oliver, she takes us on a
journey around the rockpools pointing out things that might stay hidden to
the non-looker exposing them underneath flaps that blend into the artwork as
well as the creatures blend into their habitats.  The transparent shrimp in
its leafy hideaway; the hermit crab in its seashell home; the anemones like
seafloor flowers...each brought to life in their subtle colours in
extraordinarily detailed linocuts  waiting to be discovered nestling in
crevices, hiding in the seaweed or camouflaged on the rocks.. As well as the
captions that accompany the text there is also a glossary with further
information about the creatures featured that will inspire young beach-goers
to spend some time looking and wondering and marvelling at nature's
disguises when they next catch the beach at low tide.

 <https://thebottomshelf.edublogs.org/files/2017/03/bluff1-156tnnd.jpg> My
seaside home...

My seaside home...

As a child I grew up in the very south of the South Island of New Zealand
(next stop was literally Antarctica) and we were allowed to roam the
rockpools all day (until the tide came in) so so many of my childhood
memories are built around the discoveries we made.  Nowadays, when I get to
the coast I head for the rockpools and do what I did way back when and spend
many calming, healing hours just looking, remembering.

Armed with the beauty and knowledge from this book, perhaps there will be a
new generation of hunters inspired to look a little closer, tread a little
more gently and delight in the hidden wonders especially as summer draws to
a close and many are making a last trip to the beach until the warm comes
again.

Over the years of her too-short life, Narelle Oliver has brought nature to
life for young readers in her exquisite works like The Hunt, Leaf Tail, The
Best Beak in Boonaroo Bay, Fox and Fine Feathers, Sand Swimmers and for her
final work to be one that focuses on my favourite environment is just
superb.

Vale Narelle.  You gave us so much and we are indebted to you.  Thank you.

Barbara Braxton

Teacher Librarian

M.Ed.(TL), M.App.Sci.(TL), M.I.S. (Children's Services)

Dromkeen Librarian's Award 2003

COOMA NSW 2630

AUSTRALIA

 <mailto:barbara.288 at bigpond.com> barbara.288 at bigpond.com